CO Alarm “Didn’t go off” Second ambulance called after first crew are overcome

Second ambulance called to help couple with gas poisoning after first crew are overcome

Devon couple Andy and Angela Foster had to crawl from their home and call 999 after a gas leak

A couple who began to lose consciousness after a gas leak in their home called 999 only to have ambulance officers also become ill.

Devon couple Andy and Angela Foster woke up feeling unwell due to a carbon monoxide gas leak in their home.

The pair were able to call for an ambulance as they crawled from the house drifting in and out of consciousness but a second ambulance crew had to attended after the officers from the first began to feel unwell too.

“Angie stumbled to the bathroom feeling very unwell just after 1am” said Andy.

“She then fell, smashing her head against a plant pot and falling unconscious.

“We have had a similar problem with carbon monoxide in the past and it was at this point I recognised that I was suffering from the same symptoms.

“We were just about able to crawl to the front door and call for an ambulance while drifting in and out of consciousness.”

But the paramedics suffered similar symptoms and a second ambulance had to be called to take the couple to Torbay Hospital.

Specialist equipment from Torquay fire station was used to check for carbon monoxide, and two fire crews from Brixham attended the scene.

By 3am the checks showed the gas had cleared from the house.

Andy said: “We have a carbon monoxide alarm but it didn’t go off. The fire crew switched off the gas and isolated the boiler but we think the leak may have come from the meter that is located just outside our bedroom.”

A Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said “Carbon monoxide alarms are useful but only as a back-up precaution.

Source: mirror


Our extensive warehouse facility and offices in Mold, North Wales ensure that our products are readily available and can be delivered anywhere worldwide.

For more information call:

01352 860 600

Gas Safe Europe